The Importance of Being Earnest
Oscar Wilde. 2 actors. What could possibly go wrong?
Wednesday 27 February - Saturday 16 March 2019
by Two Gents Productions & Tara Arts
The Importance of Being Earnest is Oscar Wilde's classic, witty and laugh out loud comedy of mistaken identities, confusion and cucumber sandwiches. On the surface it's a light, fluffy jibe at the nonsensicalness of the rich and upper class. At a deeper level, it is also a profound plea for sincerity & caring in the face of adversity.
Imagining a thoroughly diverse and integrated English society, 2 British-African women play all characters and bring to life this 19th century comedy of manners in an at once mocking and lovingly playful tone. Embracing wild wit, deft humour, role swapping and banter with the audience, they unfurl a riot of love, confusion and high jinks.
A perfect show for anyone ready for a good night out, looking for a bit of comedy & entertainment, hankering for a fresh take on a classic play or simply a fan of good theatre. This includes adults of all ages, young adults and children from the age of 11 and above.
POST SHOW EVENTS
- 5 o’clock tea and cucumber sandwiches after every Saturday matinee
- Post show events on Friday, March 1 & 8
- Relaxed performance on March 7, matinee performance
- The Importance of Being Black and Female: Power, diversity and inclusion in 21st Century England Friday 1 March
- The Importance of Being Wilde: celebrating the legacy of Oscar Wilde Friday 8 March